Rut of KfarGanot

Sunday 3 February 2013

Sextus is troubled

23 Shvat

Rabbi Yeshua stayed with us nearly two weeks on and off. Shmuli seemed disappointed that he would not be sleeping at Yoshi's any more. Shmuel and I were late to bed last night and we sat sipping some mulled wine, Sextus wandered in saying he could not sleep. I think I mentioned that he was concerned that his medical practice was suffering. He said he had not made much money over the last few months because he had lost his best customer, Miriam of Migdal, and was now afraid of losing the Centurion too. Our own fortunes have improved considerably since Yeshua came into our lives, it never occurred to me his presence could have the opposite effect. I did not realise he had sold his home to fund his stay with us. He reluctantly confided that all he presently owned was in his purse and medical bag.

Sextus is teaching in school, he didn't ask for payment, though he could have done. The boys are learning Greek more thoroughly than any of us ever did. He is an excellent teacher. Perhaps he could teach other children in the town, Shmuel suggested. He supposed he could, but it isn't his first love. Perhaps he should go back to Rome, he wondered? We would miss him. I felt sorry for him. He is such a gentle soul, not rugged like a farmer or a soldier. I think we have persuaded him to wait for better weather. I doubt the storms we get this time of year make traveling in winter either practical or pleasant. I would love for him to come to Yerushalayim for Pesach. We shall have to see if we can persuade him.


No comments:

Post a Comment