Rut of KfarGanot

Thursday 26 July 2012

Shmuel drives a hard bargain

7 Av

There has been a lot of excitement here today. It seems Reuven got wind of the successful day at the market yesterday. He arrived on our doorstep before we had finished breakfast! He wanted to talk to Shmuel. I don't think my husband was particularly happy as he made Reuven go out to the fields with him. They were gone for a long time but shortly after they left, who should turn up but Miriam herself! She assured me she knew nothing of what had happened yesterday, she was merely making a social call on her way back to Migdal. Hmmm... It is still an amazing coincidence!

Shmuel arrived back with Reuven as we sat down for lunch. They both looked very serious. When Shmuel saw Miriam he looked as if he had seen a ghost. Reuven broke the ice,
"This man drives a hard bargain," he said, “He still won't join us, but we have come to an agreement. I had no choice," he threw up his hands, “I was outnumbered, he had the sheep on his side!"
Everyone laughed and the atmosphere changed. I gather that Reuven can get a much higher price for Shmuel's goods if they export them to the wider empire but that Shmuel will not sell for anything less that he already gets, plus a percentage of the profits. I know how he haggles so I can believe it. I only hope Reuven is right.
Miriam commented that Shmuel might like to consider working for her if ever the farm was not enough but he said he is not cut out for all that wheeling and dealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment