Rut of KfarGanot

Thursday 9 August 2012

Shmuel and Danni to sit with the elders!

21 Av

It was not until late last night I learned the full extent of what happened when the elders came  to dinner. Shmuel sent Shmuli to join us shortly after they had finished eating. He wasn't saying much and anyway it was time he and Rivkah were in bed.

In the morning Shmuel attended to the animals and left early for market. He seemed happier than he had for a while, but he was in a hurry, he said he wanted to meet someone before the market got too crowded.
I must admit, I was extremely curious about what the men had been talking about but I dared not let it show. When Shmuel eventually sat me down and told me, I was ready!

"I went to visit an old friend of my father's," he began, "I needed some independent advice. Last night, the elders said to Danni and me that our families have become vital to the survival of KfarGanot. Many people depend on us for a living. He also said that our wives and children are a credit to us, running businesses and supporting us as the Tanach commands. It seems that since Elder Binyamin and his friends left us they feel they should be looking for more men to sit with them. There are only four of them left now, as you know." He took a deep breath and continued, They have asked Danni and me to join them."
I was so proud of him in that moment. I could see why he had sought advice from an older man, and why it could not be Rabbi Moshe.
"What have you decided?"
"We have decided we must accept. It is a great honour, and a big responsibility."

He paused, then grinned at me, "I have a surprise for you!"
He opened his pouch and handed me a little package. It was beautifully wrapped... lace... ribbons ... I don't think he has ever given me anything quite like it.
"The woman at the market said all the rich men decorate gifts for their wives in this fashion. You're supposed to unwrap it,"
I felt silly and giggled. It obviously contained something, but it looked so beautiful, I wanted to admire it, but I did what he wanted. Inside was a small alabaster jar... such lovely colors... pink... yellow... I could smell something wonderful...

It was perfume! Just like a lady would wear!

"I've been saving up. You're worth more to me than I can say. I'm sorry I've been a bit off lately. I'll sort it out with Shmuli and Rivkah tomorrow."
He gave me one of his cheeky grins and said, "We should be off to bed."
And so we should!

I think I'll leave it up to Shmuli to tell you what Shmuel said to him, but I can say it will involve him in teaching Rivkah to use a sling and shot. She is really excited, but I'm not so sure about  him.

No comments:

Post a Comment