Rut of KfarGanot

Sunday 16 September 2012

29 Elul WE'RE READY!

I needn't have worried. Everything is ready for tonight. We have prepared the food and all the men are getting their shofars ready. I'm not sure what Shmuli is doing but he's been conspicuous by his absence this afternoon. I have not seen him since lunch.  With boys that can either mean mischief or business these days. The trouble is there is no way of telling which!

Aunt Tirzah has invited all our ladies and their families to her house for the festivities. She forgot that would mean all of Azuvah's family! Milchah has had to decline since Old Silas is unwell and Yov wants them to celebrate with him. It's such a shame. But he is the oldest man in KfarGanot, he is getting quite frail. Since he helped with the threshing and winnowing he has been prone to chest trouble. It must have been the dust. It gets everywhere, but he insisted on doing his part.
"It is a sin to be idle" he would say and worked as hard as anyone.

I felt sorry for Milchah, but she insisted she would be fine. She had made a special honey cake in my kitchen to surprise them all. I shared my mother's secret recipe with her. One that Silas has always liked. I hope it raises his spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment