Rut of KfarGanot

Monday 24 September 2012

A novel way to communicate

8 Tishrei

I think Devorah is enjoying the subterfuge. She dropped in early today as is her habit in cases of severe illness. We were her second call of the morning, Silas being her first. She says he is very poorly. She had brought some foul smelling concoction for me to boil up. It was strictly not for human consumption she told me, but that there were many different ways to communicate. The message, she said, should be obvious.
"If you don't like what Old Devorah's cooking up, then stay away!" It was a tactic she had used in the past when harbouring fugitives, with good effect. I thought the odour was vaguely familiar. She assured me it was a genuine medicine, but only for donkeys and then only as an ointment. Yonatan thought it was hilarious. His father had nicknamed him "Young Donkey" because he had a stubborn streak. He pulled his shawl over his nose and went back into the house.
We got used to the smell after an hour or so, but for a while it made my eyes run. Shmuli and Yoshi, however, thought Devorah was "cool" and wondered if she could teach them to make such wonderful "stinks". She just chased them out of the yard with my broom.
"What cheek!" she exclaimed with a wink and a grin. "I'll be back later with something for you if you're not careful!"
I've never seen them run so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment