Rut of KfarGanot

Sunday 28 October 2012

Cabbages and pickled cucumber

12 Cheshvan

Chava is back! Am I glad about that! She took one look at my kitchen and shook her head. Then she took charge. She's not yet fourteen but she reminds me of her mother. She knew exactly what to do. By lunchtime, she and Rivkah had all the root vegetables and onions in the store shed, checked for damage and properly laid out. Those with blemishes were peeled, choppedand ready for pickling by the end of the afternoon. I dealt with the fruit and began pickling and salting the cabbages. I can now see the kitchen floor and I was able to make a hearty vegetable stew for dinner. I am worn out, but the house looks much more like a home and much less like a greengrocer's.
Shmuli has been busy all day, doing business in KfarNahum, helping with the olives and what I can only describe as trying to supervise the women.
He made a lot of comments about the smell of the cabbages. He wanted to know why women and girls who don't seem to like "pongs" make them almost every day but boys who think they are great are discouraged at every turn! I offered to let him do the pickling but he said he had man's work waiting at the press and left at speed.
Oh well, I'll just have to smell of cabbages and pickled cucumber for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment