Rut of KfarGanot

Sunday 18 November 2012

Yeshua came to supper

4 Kislef

I think I mentioned that Rabbi Yeshua came to the wedding. Well, he stayed on to spend time with Rabbi Moshe. He was at synagogue yesterday so Shmuel asked him to dinner. He arrived shortly after the end of Shabbat. I invited Hadassah to bring her family so they brought their supper over and we turned it into a party. The children hung on Yeshua's every word. The girls began to tell him how they spent the night with the bride to be.
"What did you take with you?" he asked
"We took lamps!" exclaimed Miri, "just like the big girls!"
"And did you take anything else?"
"Um..." Rivkah looked thoughtful,
"What makes a lamp work?" prompted Yemimah
"Ooh! I know!" Miri was fit to burst "Oil! Grandma made me take a jar of oil!"
"That was very wise of Grandma." Yeshua smiled. "That reminds me of a story."
We were all ears...


After supper, just as I was about to clear away the dishes, Yeshua told me to wait.
"I think you have a story to share?"
"I do?"
"I tried to call on you the other day but you had banned everyone from the house!"
It was true, I had. When putting my symbols of marriage away after the wedding I had discovered one of the coins was missing. It had been my mother's and would one day be Rivkah's. I had swept the house from top to bottom until I found it in the corner by the oven where it must have rolled. It took me hours I was already embarrassed, but even more so now that I knew he had tried to visit!
I flushed and stammered as I explained what had happened. I told him how overjoyed I was and that I had run round to Auntie and Hadassah and my neighbors to tell them all about it.
"It's just like that when a sinner truly repents," he explained, "The angels get really excited and tell each other the good news."
Imagine that... I always thought angels were solemn and serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment