Rut of KfarGanot

Monday 31 December 2012

Are you saying bad things about my Dad?

18 Tevet
Sextus took his leave this morning. He has patients waiting in KfarNahum. The little gang and I overheard him talking to Rabbi Moshe at the gate.

"Thank you again for agreeing to teach me to read Hebrew. I would like to start soon. Are you sure you don't want any payment other than for me to teach the boys to read Greek?"

"I was going to do it myself, but it would be so much easier for me if you could do it. Besides, you have much more experience of business terminology than I do. Theological Greek will only get them so far..."

It was too much for Shmuli. "Why do grown-ups always decide hard stuff for us to do without asking? Dad doesn't read Greek an' he's a clever business man!" he pouted.

"Maybe he would have done even better if he'd read Greek." Ira offered

"Are you saying bad things about my Dad..." Shmuli flushed with anger

"No... No...! Shmuli!"

"STOP IT AT ONCE!" I heard myself shout. I thought they might come to blows. "Behave this instant. What would your father say?"

The boys went very quiet. We could hear Shmuel whistling as he walked through the orchard on his way back from the fields.

"Don't tell him, please Mum."

"Not if you promise not to fight."

"OK, I promise." He put his arm around Ira's shoulder and they trotted off to meet Shmuel at the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment