Rut of KfarGanot

Thursday 6 December 2012

Honey, should I grow a beard?

22 Kislef
With Shmuel working so much in his basket shed, he has taken to popping in for a snack every now and then. I was feeding Nat when he arrived this morning so he sat Zippi on his lap as he tucked into a plate of bread and pickles. Zippi, who puts just about everything in her mouth as babies do, tried a piece of bread. She seemed content with that, and we fell into conversation.
"Honey, do you think I should grow a beard?" Shmuel asked rubbing his chin, "It would save me a good few minutes each day."
"What brought that on?"
"I just thought that it might make me look more distinguished, and besides, I'm the only elder without one"
What could I say? I had never known Shmuel with a beard He said it was much easier to make baskets without one since on at least one occasion as a youth he had woven himself into the fabric. By all accounts, he's the type of man who could grow a fine beard in quite a short time. It is true he does shave twice a day which is time consuming. I would miss his boyish good looks though.
"I..." I was cut short by a loud shriek. Zippi had grown tired of her piece of bread and found one of Shmuel's locks and given it a hefty tug.
"Never mind! Being clean shaven has its upside." Shmuel declared" And it's not all about the practicalities of basket weaving!"

No comments:

Post a Comment