Rut of KfarGanot

Sunday 23 December 2012

I was so embarrassed!

10 Tevet
You know, I'd never thought about Dr Sextus before. I mean I'd always thought of him as a Roman. His family are Roman citizens and they are well connected with the Roman aristocracy. When he came to call today on his way to the coast, he sat talking to Shmuel for a while and then to my amazement my husband asked him to dinner! Shmuel is not in the habit of dining with Gentiles, I was truly shocked.
"What do you mean, he's coming to dinner?"
"I thought you liked him..."
"Yes, but...but he's not one of us."
"Whatever do you mean..." began Shmuel "Oh,I see!" he laughed "Being a Roman doesn't mean he can't be Jewish! Do you really think I'd have let him near you if he was not of our people? I don't think he was very religious back then, but lately he has been questioning his position. He has seen to many people who should have died suddenly recovering. It is either a case of him losing his touch or that HaShem is real. He doesn't think he can be that wrong."
Well! All this time, I have been polite when he called and tried to keep a respectful distance because I felt uneasy having a Gentle Roman in my house... afraid I might say or do something that would get us into trouble... and I now find out the man is a Jew! What's more, Shmuel thought I knew. If does explain why Devorah accepted him. Still, you would have thought someone could have given me a hint!
Shmuel thought it was hilarious. I didn't. I was so embarrassed. I was quietly angry at my husband too. How could he not tell me? Didn't he realise how I felt, being treated by a strange man in my condition? If I'd known he was a Hebrew I could have been spared some of the anguish!
In the end, Sextus stayed the night and after everyone else had gone to bed, Shmuel asked me why I was being so frosty with him.
"Honestly, Honey, I really thought you knew. I am sorry you must have felt awful." He gazed at me with those big brown eyes of his. When he looks at me like that I can't be angry, "Let's kiss and make up...

No comments:

Post a Comment