Rut of KfarGanot

Monday 28 January 2013

Baby Donkey

17 Shvat

How easy out it is to get out of the habit of doing things...even things you love.I realised this evening that I have not been keeping my journal up to date. Over the past year so much had happened...and I suspect the amazing events are still not over...I would hate to think that in years to come they could be forgotten!
I must try to get back into the routine, not for myself alone, but also for the sake of anyone who may read that I write.


While I was ill, it seems our donkey, Princess, showed signs of being pregnant. Nobody told me, so the events of last night took me completely by surprise.

I was just about to dish up supper, much later than usual when Shmuel put his head around the door,


"It's time,Honey, Princess's foal is being born in the barn, bring the children and the bright lamp."


Supper will have to wait, the baby donkey is on its way. Rabbi Moshe was happy to mind the twins they had just been fed and were sound sleep. Rivkah and Sextus went to fetch Shmuli from Danni's. Of course, Yoshi and Miri came too. Sextus said he'd be here if we needed him, but it should be a family affair.

We crept into the barn and there was Princess on her side not looking comfortable. I knew how she felt. We could see the feet of the baby and Shmuel explained that everything was as it should be, one foot slightly ahead of the other. After a while we could see the nose... Miri let out a long "Aaaah".

"Doesn't she need help, Dad?" asked Shmuli

"No, son, let's wait, you can do damage if you interfere or if you don't do it right."

We forgot all about supper. It was quite late when Princess's daughter was born. Shmuel explained to the children that there is a right and a wrong way to help a donkey into the world, if you get it wrong you could damage its back. Fortunately, "Little One" did not need any help. Princess was fine too. Shmuel stayed to make sure everything was ok and to tidy up the barn. The rest of us went back indoors.


Sextus took supper out to Shmuel and took Miri Shmuli and Yoshi back to Danni's as the rest of us ate and I got the Rivkah off to bed. I was tucked up snugly when Shmuel finally climbed in beside me. He was icy cold. Brrrrr!


"It's snowing," he said simply. "Thanks for warming me up."

No comments:

Post a Comment