Rut of KfarGanot

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Many witnesses

26 Tevet
I would not like to be in Rabbi Moshe's shoes today. It has been impossible to get any work done because of the constant stream of women seeking an audience with him have been clogging up my kitchen since breakfast. Chen and the midwives took considerably longer than most, apparently, the poor child still doesn't have an official name and that must be sorted out before his circumcision on the first day next week! In the end I arranged for all of us to eat at Aunt Tirzah's tonight.
It was mid afternoon by the time every women had finished telling Rabbi Moshe their tales of woe. When he emerged from his room I offered him some herbal tea and asked if there was anything I could do.
"Was Shmuel there?" he asked
"Chen said he was and he was covered in mud when he came home. He's ruined his clothes too."
"Ah, I see. It seems that the if it were not for the donkey, there would have been no problem..."
"Or the drink..." I couldn't help myself.
"Of course, it is customary for the men to celebrate. Their judgement was impaired, I have no doubt. Do you think Shmuli could take all the men a message for me?"
Rabbi Moshe summoned the men to a meeting in their hall this evening and he was not accepting any excuses. I wonder what he's going to do...?

We ate very late at Aunt Tirzah's. The men's meeting went on for ages. I hadn't realised Uncle Shaul was involved in the trouble too. As far as I can tell, only Rabbi Moshe and Eli weren't there! Even Yemimah's Zeb was involved! They were very sheepish when they finally arrived for supper and even did the washing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment