Rut of KfarGanot

Sunday 6 January 2013

Muddy mayhem

24 Tevet

I think you can guess the topic of conversation at the well and the washing place this morning. That's right, the state of our menfolk yesterday evening! Mine were covered in mud and their best clothes were torn to shreds. But some families had it even worse!

One woman said that her men... all six of them had lost at least one item of clothing in the mud, her husband had lost his only pair of sandals and had gone to look for them, so she would have more washing tomorrow.

Another said that her husband's best clothes now adorned their scarecrow in the barley field!

Still another said, "My husband got the back end of the donkey, you'd better stay down wind of me when I do the washing."

I felt most sorry for Chen, the neighbour of the family whose newborn son the men had gathered to celebrate. She was attending the birth and joining in the women's merry making,

"I knew something was wrong when the midwife refused to hand over the baby" she said, "I've never known that happen all my born days!" she shrugged and gave a hefty sigh, "I went straight home, the men were waiting in my kitchen. I have never seen anything like it! There were muddy men all over the house, all worse for the wine... not a part was spared... I got my broom and chased them out and they laughed and teased... I was so cross... even your Shmuel!" she scolded "and Hadassah's Danni too!"

I blushed. Hadassah was close to tears. "That Roman of yours was very contrite though, at least he said sorry"

"He's not my Roman... "

"Of course he is. He put our husbands to shame and managed to keep himself clean too!"

Oh dear, I think I'm going to have to be more careful or tongues will be waging...

No comments:

Post a Comment