Rut of KfarGanot

Friday 4 January 2013

Mouse on the loose!

Every creature looks for somewhere warm for the winter. Mice are no exception. They can cause havoc if they get into the grain or lentils. Our cats keep them under control in the barn and outhouse. I don't like mice in the house so when I saw evidence they had been visiting the kitchen I shoo-ed one of the female cats indoors. They are not very sociable so, normally speaking, they stay outside. Chava took the twins to Hadassah's while I supervised the cat. At least, that was the plan. The cat has other ideas. She crept round the kitchen, her tail wagging slowly from side to side, making a strange clicking sound with her teeth.


The mouse made a run for it... Dashing across the room it took refuge by the hearth. The cat followed...pounced...missed...sending a pile of baskets all over the floor. The mouse, taking advantage of the confusion sped up the passageway towards the Rabbi's bedroom. I thought of his treasures and dashed towards his door.The animals made a swerve to the left into my bed space... It was terrible I couldn't see the mouse, but the cat was under the blankets... up the curtains... in the bed again... back towards the kitchen... then silence....

I crept back up the passage and peeked round the door post. There was the cat washing after her meal. She looked pleased with herself. Then, she curled up on my clean washing to go to sleep!


"Oh no, Madam! You're not sleeping on my laundry with your fleas and all!" I yelled flinging open the door and chasing her out. I let her have my mouse, she's been rewarded enough!
Now I'll have to wash everything all over again!
22 Tevet


No comments:

Post a Comment