Rut of KfarGanot

Friday 24 August 2012

Rivkah learns a secret

6 Elul


Shmuel and Milchah have been extremely busy. Every spare space is filled with basketwork cribs awaiting linings. The rest of us have been weaving and embroidering. Somehow, Aunt Tirzah and Vered have become part of the team. They take embroidery home for the other girls to do in the evening. I must say, the finished cribs look lovely. It was a relief when Reuven came to collect some of the items today. He and Shmuel sat in the courtyard with a drink of wine. It was good to have space to move again. Shmuel helped him load up the cart and then came into the weaving shed scratching his head.
"Who'd have thought there'd be so much money in baby goods? Our little girls have hit upon a gold mine... Once they sell, there will be even more!"
He counted out the wages for the other women and put the rest in his jar.
"We will be ready for Shabbat won't we, honey?"
"Of course!" I tried not to sound hurt. Had I ever got that wrong?

At that moment, the door flung open and Yov came in carrying Rivkah. She was sobbing her heart out.
"Whatever's happened?" I took her from him.
"A mob from Chorazim, a very nasty mob, didn't want us grazing the sheep on the far side of the dell, she thinks it's all her fault."
"We have every right... why on earth does she think that?"
"She thinks she hit someone with the sling. She didn't; but I can't convince her."
I hugged her close and she buried her head in my scarf.
"Can you keep a secret?" said Yov stroking her hair."Come on, I've got something to show you. You'll be the only girl in KfarGanot who has seen my surprise for Vered!"
She looked at him and blinked with wide wet eyes. With a big sniff she nodded and Yov took her from my arms and whisked her off to his house. I must admit, I was I was a tad jealous No woman has been allowed to see anything for weeks in case we spoil the surprise!
When she came back she was smiling and told me she would not tell a soul but we would need to make lots of curtains for them. But how would we do that without Vered finding out?

No comments:

Post a Comment