Rut of KfarGanot

Tuesday 20 November 2012

I do believe Yov winked at me!

6 Kislef

You know how it is with newly weds, they have more interesting things on their minds than cooking and chores. I thought it would be nice to call in with some food... bread and something for their dinner. Perhaps I might be able to get a peek at what all the secrecy was about. That was not why I went, you understand, but I did hope... Anyway, I packed up my gift and went over. I knocked on the door which was answered by Yov who said he was just on his way out. I'm sure he winked at me as I went in.
To my surprise, Aunt Tirzah, Hadassah, Yemimah and Devorah were already there! There was a pile of flat bread on the table and pots of stew by the stove. As I was taking all this in, Azuvah arrived wanting to know where Yov was off to in such a hurry.
Vered just laughed and we visitors all looked at the floor. It was that obvious. We had driven him out of his own home. A well mannered man would be obliged to step outside in our company!
"We wondered how long it would take you," she teased, "We are amazed at your strength of will!"
Well really! But that's Vered for you. Straight to the point.
"I suppose you want a guided tour?"
We supposed we did.
"Well, this is the kitchen..."
"Where's all your pots and pans?" asked Azuvah, always the practical one
"In here," Vered opened a door and revealed a cupboard you could walk into with shelves all round the walls. All her kitchen stuff was stacked neatly out of sight until she needed it.
"Town houses have walk in cupboards like this in every room. I think they call them closets. Ya'akov put one in each of our rooms here too."
"In the bedroom?" said Aunt Tirzah open-mouthed
"Of course, is great to keep clothes and shoes in!"
The bedroom, well I doubt Herod himself has a nicer one. The bed, draped with curtains stood in the middle. Not like in our house in a niche in the wall. On the bed was my bedspread and a silk cushion. I recognized the pattern... it was one I wove for Reuven when I was with the co op. The window... the room had a window... looked out over Kinneret. It had a curtain and a wooden shutter for the winter.
"There is more..." Vered began
We gasped as one. We had been aware that Yov had built a room on the roof but from the village it was not clear why. The house stood on the edge of a steep drop so we could not see the other side.
We made our way upstairs, there was another bedroom similar to the first and a balcony with a stupendous view right across Kinneret. The recent rain had brought an end to the haze that shrouds the lake in summer. It was stunning! There was a framework of beams to grow a vine or two next year, but for now, woollen tent material was providing the shade. We were speechless.
Vered insisted we stay for lunch, after all she had a kitchen full of food and she and Yov would never be able to eat it all on their own.
Just then, Yov, Shmuel and Danni arrived with the children.
They had a good laugh at our expense but, then, I suppose we deserved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment